1/07/2019

Ahoy!

I feel like Bob Wiley from the scene in What About Bob? where he says, "I'm sailing! I'm a sailor! I sail!" 

Y'all. I paint now. I'm a painter! I'm painting!


Kathy's amazing artwork has inspired me to try watercolor. I was really scared at the beginning because I did it as a child and really was not very good at it. 

In grad school, I took a community class in oil painting and had a lot of fun with that medium. I liked that I could really mix stuff as I was going, and didn't have to worry about it drying. It felt analogous to cooking (vs. baking) where I could adjust as I went. Watercolor seemed like you had to think things through and then have only one shot at it.


I'm not sure if it's the new modern watercolor style that's easier, or that I'm approaching it differently now. Youtube tutorials help a lot, too. So crazy how you can just learn anything these days, from the comfort of your home.

With little kids around I haven't touched oil painting in years; it's nice to have watercolor because I can pick it up whenever and just paint in the margins (literally and figuratively). 


We love to use the cheap sketchbooks from Michael's (Kathy and I joke that the best artwork always turns out on the cheapest paper). They are Artist's Loft brand, and just $5. I used to get the bigger journals because you technically get more for your money, but now I like the small ones because it's easier to take out and also there's less pressure to fill a page.


So far I'm mostly doing botanicals and lettering; perhaps I'll branch out (ha) to other subjects eventually.


I want to host an art night sometime. If anyone is interested let me know! We'll pop in What About Bob? and do some painting!

10 comments:

  1. I love these!! So beautiful and inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your arting!! So lovely. So good to stretch the soul and try out stuff we might not be good at :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, sweet friend! i am SOOOO BUMMED that i missed you this past weekend. :(((((((( hope you're well. if you have a minute, i'd love to hear how you are and what you're up to!

      Delete
  3. me! me! This discombobulated working mom is in need of a break. I'm always down for a relaxing night of art and what about Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D haha, i love your comment! gimme gimme gimme i need i need i need. discomBOBulated, such a good word. let's DO THIS. <3

      Delete
  4. These are BEAUTIFUL Lisa!! I wish I could come paint with you. I am terrible at watercolor too (too persnickety and precise) but I would love to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you friend! (remembering those arch days now...) <3

      Delete
  5. oh my gosh!!! i've started watercoloring too! I love these! I wish we were in the same place getting into watercolor together lol. also what about Bob! as you can see this post made me feel all the feels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's awesome! please text me some of your work :) oh i love it. and please come see us next time you're in the area, miss you!

      Delete