10/13/2014

Definitely legit

I originally meant to post this before I wrote about biryani because in a way this is what inspired that adventure. However, there was was no ridiculous backstory to this. Just a lot of groaning and sighing at the table.

We told our friend (and neighbor) Karen that she is definitely family because during dinner we were practically bragging about how delicious the meal was, right in front of her. But that is the price she had to pay for getting to eat with us.

Allow us to let you in on a secret. 


That's right. Lamb loin chops.

Because they are naturally more thickly cut, they are more succulent than rack of lamb, and cheaper, too (we got ours at Costco). We salted and peppered them, let them sit at room temperature for a couple of hours and then grilled them.

It would probably be fantastic with cumin, coriander, and turmeric [we love to make our steak sandwiches like that a la Berkeley's Brazil Cafe (is that still around? Yes, it is, and now I am dreaming about garlic and cilantro and sour cream/mayo...)], but I also love the simplicity of just salt and pepper. Especially for something as flavorful as lamb.

It was perfect, simply accompanied by spinach from our CSA and some yellow rice. (It would probably go well with a Greek salad, too.)

And while it's still questionable* if you should make biryani in the rice cooker, it's not at all so to just make yellow rice. My mom often made it for us while we were growing up, so it's definitely legit.


Yellow rice

I think my mom uses only turmeric, but the other spices and butter are nice additions. I don't actually measure any of this. All you need to know is: don't be shy with the turmeric. 

3 cups rice
1-2 t turmeric
1/2 t cumin
pinch of cinnamon
2 cloves
1/2 t salt
1 T butter
cilantro for garnish

Throw everything into the rice cooker except for the cilantro and hit start.

P.S. This tip regarding cilantro storage has changed my world. I hope it will change yours too.


__________________________________________
* Oh my goodness, just this week I saw this article that confirms I'm not crazy. Also, Francis Lam** tweeted that "[t]rue genius is finding the obvious when the obvious has not yet been found."***

** I bring up Francis Lam**** because I want to tell you about his ratatouille before all of your summer squash is used up. Post forthcoming...

*** What is proper MLA for citing tweets, anyway? Can you tell I graduated from high school in the early 2000s?

**** Every time I re-google the recipe, I have to check myself about whether it's Chan or Lam. Maybe Francis Lam should publish a book called Crazy Food. I would totally buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment