4/12/2015

Here to report


I'm here to report that I successfully completed my mission for last week. Other than swapping Tuesday and Wednesday I followed my menu plan exactly. (Well, that and I didn't actually eat potato chips on fend-for-myself night. I guess you could call it a metaphor, as I did eat mac and cheese from a box.)

From Tuesday, which became Wednesday:

lemon-braised chicken with white beans and mint pesto

grabby, chubby hands
The other meals were decent, too, but the surprise was the potato, chile, corn soup. Brothy and light, yet rich and full of flavor, we were delighted by bowl after bowl. I'm not a huge corn lover (yes, just like I don't love zucchini), so I accidentally "forgot" to include it. The chips, cheddar, and avocado were perfect toppings but I was surprised to find cilantro missing from Amelia's list. We had some and I felt that it made the dish.

I highly recommend this easy, delicious, and cheap dish. (What more could you want?) Since it's not a very photogenic soup I have not included proof here but instead copy-pasted the recipe below for your viewing pleasure.

Here's my plan for this week:
Monday: Carbonara and spinach (maybe a cream of spinach soup??)
Tuesday: Green bean, chick pea, barley, feta salad with spiced vinaigrette (plus I'll pick up a rotisserie from Costco)
Wednesday: Chicken pho from the rotisserie carcass, plus broccoli cooked in the broth
Thursday: Italian sausage and spinach lasagna (though I'm not sure if I'll make it in the crock pot)
Friday: Broccoli rice casserole (plus chicken if there's any leftover) - anyone have a recipe they like?


Amelia Morris' Corn, Chile and Potato Soup
from Bon AppĂ©tempt [my additions in brackets]
2 pounds potatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cups chicken broth
½ cup water
1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo
2 avocados
1 to 2 limes
1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn (not thawed) or 1 large can (between 340-450 grams) of corn
Tortilla chips
Grated cheddar cheese
[Chopped cilantro (my addition)]

1. Rinse, scrub, and peel the potatoes. Chop them into 1- to 2-inch pieces. Set aside.

2. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and give it a few pinches of salt and a bit of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 4 to 5 minutes.

3. Add the potatoes, chicken broth, water, and 1 teaspoon salt to the pot. Raise the heat to high to bring to a boil. Mince the chile using a fork to hold it steady as you chop. Add the minced chile to the pot. Once the soup is boiling, take it down to a simmer; simmer until the potatoes are very tender, 15 to 17 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, dice the avocados and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and the juice of half a lime. Set aside.

5. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes right in the soup—just until coarsely broken up. Add the frozen or canned corn and simmer for about 2 minutes more, until heated through. Turn off the heat. Add the juice of the other half of the lime.

6. Ladle into bowls and top with a nice heap of tortilla chips, avocado cubes, and shredded cheddar. [And cilantro!] Serve with wedges of the remaining lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment