1/20/2017

Designing my blog


After writing and publishing that last post, I felt great (awesome comments/discussion too!) but nowhere nearer to a satisfactory solution for structuring this blog.

It was a gift, then, that Designing Your Life showed up in my queue on Overdrive, because the concepts raised in the book addressed the questions that have been rising up in my soul.

Using the principles taught in the Design School at Stanford, Burnett and Evans talk about how to design your life. (I mentioned in a previous post on vocation that I once took a course with Dave Evans at Berkeley.)

I think the biggest takeaway so far is that there isn't one life waiting to be discovered and lived by me; in fact, there may be multiple lives that want to live through me.

It could appear a little haunting, but I'm trying to see it as freeing. I am totally the person who (as far as I can tell) was not made for a specific vocation. However, I am so used to thinking in terms of goals, teleology, and so this free-floating that is happening nowadays kind of freaks me out.

This blog is such a reflection of my life; I want to structure it, organize it, but that wouldn't be me. It won't let me rein it it. Simultaneously, I want to hide, and not show people my real self because I feel completely un-put together. But something keeps telling me to come back.

I am re-reading Big Magic, trying not to be freaked out by the question, "Do you have the courage to bring for this work [i.e., the creative life]? The treasures that are hidden inside you are hoping you will say yes" (7).

I think I struggle more with faith than I do courage. It's not so much about bravery for me, I'm willing to do a lot of stupid things. But I do struggle to believe that there's a purpose for what I'm doing.

The hardest thing for me is to act on those still, tiny feelings when I don't have everything lined up in a row first.

Even with this blog, when I first re-launched it with my thirty day project, I had no idea where I was going, but when I completed it, I was pretty darn proud of what was unearthed.

Theo discovered a "treaded tractor" in the shadow of the couch plus some other random object that was there. 
In Designing Your Life, the authors explain how designers use prototypes, trying not to be too committed to one idea (and certainly not the first idea that comes up), and hoping that if it fails, that it fails fast so you can move to the next one.

I have been 99% consistent with once-weekly blog posts since the close of my thirty day project, and I think I'm ready to increase my output to two posts per week. Perhaps one of them will be the so-called scheduled type post that follows a more traditional pattern (e.g., kid updates, fun lists, photos, etc.) and the other will be open-ended (scary! wonderful!), as has been my wont.

(Does that just totally fit my personality or what? Rules and rule-breaking. Oh my gah I'm so predictable.)

The other random tidbit from the book is the difference between engineering and designing. The authors purport that when approaching your life from a design stance, you don't focus on the problems, but on the people. The best design is done with empathy and consideration for the people the designed thing will ultimately be for.

(Elizabeth, I'm totally all ears for your thoughts on design! :D)

So I'm trying to apply that to my life/blog. How can I design a life/blog that really serves me? What would that even look like?

I seriously have no idea.

---

(Can I blog about how writing this blog post about blogging - and the previous one too - made me feel 5238947329427 times better about my angst? This is so bizarre, and I'm trying to pay attention to this pattern. When I sat down to write today I was like, "I hate writing. I hate this stupid commitment I made to blogging. I don't want to write. All my ideas are stupid. I am such a contradiction. Everything I thought I wanted to say is mush. No one is making me do this except myself. I want to die." And then after I do it, I feel lighter. So weird. Okay, just had to share that.)

4 comments:

  1. I get so excited every time I see you have posted so I am all for you increasing number of posts per week. Also, in regards to blogging I think there is a two part benefit to a creative life: 1) to get into the habit of consistently producing content (to make something and not just be consuming) and let it out into the world even if it's not perfect , and 2) to think of the blogging as an avenue for external processing (i.e. Feeling lighter after sharing your thoughts about blogging) for all the small and big details of life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Christine! omg it's crazy how encouraging it is to get feedback like this. thank you for your excitement. and thank you also for your thoughts on the benefits. i'm just getting into this discipline (and it's so backwards from all my life, to see "creative" work as something you can do *with* discipline) and i need all the help i can get! yes, the hardest thing for me is letting go of perfection (or an image of perfection). and yes, the external processing and even the public nature of sharing is really helpful for me, and hard to do in this season in life via channels other than the internet.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of getting to check in with you via your blog more than once a week. I love reading the things you write because you do such a great job of writing in your voice and even if it's a one-sided conversation, I always feel like I can hear YOU in your writing. Does that make sense? Also, no perfection needed. You have a talent for communicating through writing and even if it doesn't feel perfect to you odds are that it will feel authentic to your readers. So just keep on keeping on friend! I love what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Molly. Just the word I needed to hear :) Hope you are well!

      Delete