1/16/2017

Meta footnote be with you

(With a title like that - so sorry - be prepared for a super stream-of-consciousness post.)

Yeesh, lots of things going on in my mind these days and I am way behind on updates - Christmas, New Years, two birthday, etc.

I have been wavering* about setting up a so-called "editorial calendar" or posting schedule, but I think it could really help me approach my blog with less fear.

[*Lisa footnote: the other day I was journalling about how I am lacking structure in life but that the reason I wasn't putting it into place was because I was fearing that I was idolizing it. And yet because God made me this way, maybe that fear message was really from the Enemy. And then I realized one of the labels for my Enneagram type is "Devil's Advocate." (!) Talk about mind-blowing. And then today when I was reading Healing The Purpose of Your Life by the beloved Linns of Sleeping with Bread, they discussed how "one clue to our sealed orders will often be what we like least about ourselves" (65). I wrote in the margin, "my ability to see both sides in every situation, when taken to an extreme, leads me to paralysis / without a guiding center."**]

[**meta-footnote: this is what happens to me when I go a long time without externally processing. I go crazy!]

So. Where does this leave us? I see both sides to the situation:

1. Having a schedule allows me to write without having to think about what I'm going to write about; the topics will have already been decided.

2. Having a schedule may limit what I can write about, and might also prevent me from thinking creatively about other things beyond the plan. Also, it feels like doing what Everyone Else does.

Writing this out, I feel that the cons are somewhat lame: they are my excuse for not wanting to do this, they are what help me feel like I am taking a risk.

I think what I am discovering about myself is that what feels like no big deal to most people feels like A Very Big Deal to me.

***

One benefit of having a schedule will be less of the "random" posts where I lump 2349083284723 different types of information into one post. But until I get to this schedule, bear with me while I dump: (This is supposedly done for your benefit but also so I can close the 2349083284723 tabs open in my browser currently.)

  • I loved this article on longing and limits
  • An interesting, if not provocative, essay entitled "Is Parenthood the Enemy of Creative Work?"
  • Currently making my first ever batch of kombucha!
  • Okay, this is totally not me, but when I saw this my heart stopped for a second.
  • Sometimes doing the most important thing on my list for the day first, even if it seems very minor and certainly not urgent (and thus it doesn't seem prioritized based on schedule optimization), can make a tremendous difference in the flow of my day.
  • After listening to the Liturgists talk about meditation, I have been trying to incorporate some (you'd probably call it secular) meditation practice into my life lately. I've been doing it almost every day for over two weeks now and I think it is making a huge improvement in my stress, anxiety, and depression. I think it is also helping me have more patience with others and myself. Insert thumbs up emoji.
  • Do you Bullet Journal? (Kendra has the best introduction if you need one.) I have avoided jumping on the bandwagon, despite its seeming similarities to the Moleskine hack for GTD that has worked for me so well for almost 10 years now, and which I keep going back to despite attempts at other planners/life management tools. I am wondering if it will help with my currently-very-scattered brain.
  • Related: I finally bought a cheap notebook (ironic because you're probably supposed to use something cheap you have laying around the house that you don't care about, but I #konmari'd those) to do Morning Pages. I found Chris Winfield's article on it through Google today and it finally sold me on it. 
  • Also related: when I read this article on the Pomodoro method of productivity on Lifehacker, I thought it was a joke / April Fools' hoax. That was last week. Then today, when clicking around on Chris Winfield's site after discovering him today, I was quite convinced of the benefit of the tool, even if it's just used as a nmemonic device, a way of reminding yourself to mono-task, and to do so for a certain amount of time. I don't have a traditional job, and I don't quite have the freedom to work in eight 25-minute shifts of work every day, but I have (usually) some moments of time to myself every day that are pretty regular (during naps, and independent playtime) that I can use to focus on specific tasks for a set amount of time. Today I made sure to not browse during naps (in general, I'm trying to not do anything while the kids are asleep that I can do while they are awake, such as cleaning, etc.). I got some reading, writing, and thinking done, AND I cleaned up the garage for 21 minutes (I set timers for 8, 7, then 6 minutes). I got a LOT done in less than one hour.
  • (Back to the Bullet Journal, one final time. Because it's because I've used a makeshift BuJo for four days that I can even remember some of these randoms to tell you. The Bullet Journal centralizes things that we tend to think are more compartmentalizable. It messes with me and also jives with me. This must be related to the pendulum swing of my mind.)
Okay well I hope I didn't lose my small readership with all that cuh-RAziness! I hope to bring you some more order and structure, but that if I don't do that any time soon, please show me some grace. Thanks everyone!

6 comments:

  1. A great big 👍🏽 to this post! Especially to pomodoro method, acknowledging and working through the Very Big Deal Lisa stuff, and mindfulness/meditation/whatever you call it.

    Over the past few years I've been learning to take captive that dualistic thinking that served me fairly well as a young person but less so as an adult with a full life. Our church has a liturgy that we do probably not often enough in which the worship leader names stuff, both stuff that seems good and stuff that still needs goodness in it, and the congregation proclaims after each naming, "our world belongs to god", and I want so much to live into that great reality, that God claims it all for himself.

    And that liturgists episode...I may have wept through the whole thing on a long drive due to Very Big Feelings about the election but the guided meditation at the end was such an unexpected wonder. Yesssssss to mindfulness, learning how to corral the mind to further honor your emotional experience in the world and be exquisitely present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! It is so encouraging when my super random posts (read: felt like it was super lame) elicit responses. It seems to be a pattern on my blog, limited as my posting as been. I have found that when I just put myself out there I get responses. Makes sense though I guess; the deeper we go, the more universal. People resonate when you are authentic, nothing new I guess! But thank you, friend, for affirming Current Lisa.

      (And maybe this is where having a posting schedule rubs me wrong; I don't want ever want to be a "brand", I just want to be me. // Solution, maybe I just need to start a list of blog posts to write, like a someday/maybe list, and work ahead on those so I always have something to post. A compromise between a schedule and a plan.)

      Loved the second paragraph of your comment; I re-read it multiple times. "Stuff that still needs goodness in it." (!) Woah.

      Which episode are you referring to? In a rush I forgot to hyperlink stuff, so re: meditation I meant to like an early episode on the topic of meditation itself.

      Yes, mindfulness has been huge for integrating mind-body for me, which is something I seriously lack. And which I think is such an evangelical problem, don't you think?

      Delete
    2. I thought about this post when I read your second paragraph about making solutions: http://theartofsimple.net/makingfriends/ sometimes they just need to work for now.

      Haha, I was referring to the Liturgists episode Suffering Part 2...they do a guided meditation at the end of it but as I reach back into old episodes I realize they do that every now and then...yes, that was unclear. Hmm...I shall put on the meditation episode while I make dinner tonight!

      Mind-body connection is THE HUGEST EVANGELICAL PROBLEM (ok, maybe not the hugest but I could go on and on about this for days.) Dualism again: this time it shows up as "body bad, mind good" or sometimes even "body and mind bad, spirit good". For me, I remember long ago wondering how the heck I am supposed to "be still and know that he is God"--and mindfulness is such a helpful tool in that process. However it works for people--attention to breath, observing thoughts, focusing on one word--it all belongs to God. I am into it, though TBH I do not do it as much or in as disciplined of a way as I would like. But this 2017 I am choosing one habit a month to try on, and I think daily mindfulness meditation practice is looking good for February!

      Delete
  2. So many good things in here! I came back several times to finish reading and in order to check out the links. That Kim Brooks article is fascinating, and feeds into so much of what I've been thinking about (even though I don't ageee with all of it, but maybe exactly because of that) and it's still brewing (probably in preparation for a blog post to work it all out! And sort of related i totally have an ongoing list of things I want to write about and work on those topics way ahead of time for posts). Also, YES ALL THE WAY TO THE MOON for bullet journals. I have been doing it for years and it is wonderful. I don't do anything fancy, but my whole life is in those notebooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this! I'm glad some of these things gave you pause. I am encouraged by your feedback and I guess you'll be seeing how it turns out for me eventually :) As always, happy to be journeying with you.

      Delete
  3. (It even feels that these comments are like footnotes to your footnotes.)
    1) I think I will need to check out these BuJoes you keep talking about. (And I keep wondering what sort of a gun you load bullet journals into: maybe life rifles? Or, per your Enneagram, a Six-shooter?)
    2) @Stephanie: MIND-BODY split in Evangelicalism: why do you think that this is? Is this pseudo-neo-gnosticism a reaction to something? I can think of at least a few Biblical thoughts that seem to support this: "the flesh is weak, but the spirit is willing..." "crucify the flesh and its desires..." Overall a general sense of shame about sex and sexuality. But why?

    I have never meta footnote that I didn't like. ;)

    ReplyDelete