10/26/2016

Without overthinking

Well, after simply identifying the problem last week, I was able to bite the bullet and meal plan without overthinking. It was really nice to have a fridge full of stuff to cook, and it was super therapeutic - as it almost always is - to actually do the cooking, once I had decided what to make and had the ingredients to do so.

Roasting a pan of vegetables is always a good idea, especially when you have kabocha from your CSA.


A bag of dried garbanzo beans prepared in the crock pot was turned into four different things: hummus, radish greens pesto chickpea salad, pumpkin soup with harissa, and saag with chickpeas.

Speaking of the crock pot, it worked wonders for us this weekend, allowing us to eat well but not be too weighed down by time in the kitchen when we had lots of housework to do, like cutting down our maple tree (sad day, but now there's more of a view of the other trees...and the freeway)...


... and picking up a quarter cow from a nearby farm.


The best meal was a pot roast made in the church-lady-potluck tradition: cream of mushroom soup and a packet of onion soup mix. Don't worry, I didn't do this with our grass-fed cow from the farm. But still, this is seriously the best way to make a roast if you're going to do it in the crock pot the ultra lazy way without even searing it. And the leftovers made awesome sandwiches with mayo and red onion.

(I am now writing a post in my head about my love for sandwiches, which I have recently discovered in my adult life, but which white people have always known about. So to really talk about it might be the Asian analog of whitesplaining (thank you, Slai) the beauty of drinking hot water.)

And then on Sunday morning, because lunch after church is pretty much the most chaotic/hangry point of the week, I tried out my friend Valinda's suggestion and we did chicken tacos in the crockpot. I just added salt, taco seasoning, and about one cup of chicken broth. On high for ~3 hours (when you're at church) and it was perfect. Easy peasy and delish.


Also, per Christine's awesome post on welcoming fall, we lit candles for dinner to start our Sabbath, which we experimented doing from 5pm-5pm Sat-Sun this past weekend.


Now I've got to plan for this week ahead. Do you guys have any no-fail favorite crockpot meals?

Ooh, also, I've completely forgotten about linking this awesome article my friend Kayla sent me about a month ago on crappy dinner parties, and which we've been participating in ever since. It's been the best thing ever.

P.S. Some follow-ups to last week's randoms:

1) Wearing shoes from the time I wake up until after dinner definitely made me more productive, and on the days I did it, I hit my 10,000 steps goal without even trying.
2) All things pickled FTW. We finished the watermelon radish, peppers, and red onions so fast. So good for anything that needs a little extra somethin'. Or just straight out of the jar because vinegar is my love language.
3) In the middle of the Liturgists episode on Spiral Dynamics. So confused.
4) David and I watched the first ep of This is Us through NBC.com and loved it!

P.P.S. Since drafting this post, I read and made this in the crockpot tonight. It was amazing! And, in the words of one vegetarian who took some home for her daughters, "I think I eat meat now."

10 comments:

  1. I love that you bought a quarter cow. Phil really wants to, but everywhere we've looked you have to find the other 3 people to buy the rest of it. Also our freezer is filled with breast milk, so we don't really have room right now - maybe in the next season of our lives. One of my uncles who is a farmer butchers a couple cows every year. Then his kids all divide up the meat for their Christmas present. We witnessed the division a couple weeks ago and walked away with a couple steaks and some ground beef. It's a Christmas tradition that I could totally get behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, I think most larger establishments take reservations for the cows ahead of time--doing so early might guarantee you a spot for the coming year with other beef-hopefuls!

      And holy cow, you have an uncle who is a farmer/butcher?! Yes please.

      Delete
  2. Crock pots FTW! (Free the weekend! For the winter! Fill the waistline!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a crock pot (womp womp wommmppppp) but I am in the process of making some overly labor intensive carnitas for a half-crappy taco bar dinner party I'm hosting tonight. (It's half-crappy instead of all-the-way-crappy because I swept (part of) the floor and may even wipe down the table...feeling crazy!!)

    PS I listened to the Liturgists podcast ep on marriage with Rob Bell and liked it very, very much. More to come...

    PPS I started using Trello as an organizational tool...it's kind of fun. And free! This was an unsolicited suggestion and I am trying to remember why I brought it up...OH, it's because it's helped me a little with menu planning. I have a menu planning board and lists for each week on it...and maybe there's a little color coding. And cards! And checklists! And you can collaborate with other people on it if you were working on a joint project, though I have yet to explore that feature. I'm still in a "this is fun!" mindset about it because it's been in my life for approximately 2 weeks. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your not having a crock pot is so Orangette. I sometimes want to tell her that it is the best way to cook dried beans, because she loves beans. Yay carnitas, though! And you're hosting the party! Loved the postscripts (classic you, I stole it) and I Will have to check out Trello! Thanks for the comment love.

      Delete
  4. Great post! I took notes along the way. And I LOVE the concept of a crappy dinner party, we find ourselves doing it all the time and it is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! And *I* currently have tabs open from your last link up on meal prep. :) (That's what you mean by taking "notes" right?) Thanks for that post, and for your comments here!

      Delete