2/15/2017

A few randoms

1. New guilty pleasure: Nashville. Connie Britton, singing, love triangles... um, swoon, basically. "No One Will Ever Love you" = so haunting I died.

2. Let's talk about meal planning for like the 50th time. I decided that not feeling ecstatic about having a set meal plan > stressing out about what we are having for dinner every day. I'm trying to think of it like Anne Lammott's shitty first drafts: my inner critic should not be criticizing until there is something to critique.

We are challenging dairy this week on the elimination diet, if you were wondering.
And if you didn't catch the post on sheet pan chicken, do it meow.
3. "Focus on being a verb, not a noun." This was referenced on the The Mom Hour podcast on radical self-care, and attributed to a poet who was on Liz Gilbert's Big Magic podcast. The poet was trying to tell an aspiring artist, "don't try to be a poet, just write poems." I really like that, and I think that is a good thing to tell myself. I don't need to try to be a blogger, I'm just going to focus on writing blog posts. Such an easy and freeing shift of perspective! 

4. Another good quote. "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." --Andre Gide

5. Related to #1, because I cannot get enough of Connie Britton, I am getting back into Friday Night Lights while working on a crochet project. So fun.

6. Green chocolate smoothies with mixed baby greens, rice + coconut milk, frozen banana, cocoa powder, medjool dates, and chia seeds.


Pro tip courtesy of my friend Karen: when you can't finish that box of baby greens from Costco (you know the one), freeze it so it's ready for smoothies.

7. I am not a nail polisher by any stretch of the imagination, but Kathy surprised me with this amazing bottle that looked good even when applied by someone with the nail-polishing skills of a 12-year-old boy (that's me). It gave me that my-nails-but-better look; I had no idea that what would look like a perfect neutral on me would appear so pink in the bottle. Consider me enlightened.

8. This red lentil soup. If Molly Wizenberg and Melissa Clark tell you to make something, you listen up. Follow every step, including blending half of the soup. (Though I have to admit, I held off on the salt until later because of my extreme fear of the lentils not softening. Kayla, you know what I'm talking about!)

monster trucks provided by Theo
Tell me what's up with you! Any inspiring quotes, good podcasts, satisfying meals, fun shows, tips/tricks, stupid stuff that makes you laugh?

2 comments:

  1. I made http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/pozole-verde-de-pollo-green-mexican-hominy-and-chicken-soup-recipe.html for last friday night dinner...it was amaze.

    By the way, I am in awe of your meal planning (and your new meals every night!!) Maybe I am very lazy, but I cannot bring myself to cook more than two things per week. They are big things, usually, with lots of leftover potential (that I always say I will transform into something new and hardly ever do)

    Otherwise...trying to embrace the tools that help with wedding planning. Currently: Trello, the knot, google calendar & google sheets, pinterest?? uggggg

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love me some pozole.

    re: menu planning. weeelll, we do have a household, and we all eat dinner leftovers for lunches, aaaand as you already know i eat like a teenage boy, so we really do need to cook every night for the most part. but, there is freedom to change the plan, and i'd love it if the food lasted long enough that i don't have to make another meal. but it's not usually the case. so far this week has been good. although if you do some sleuthing (putting two and two together) you'll see that david ALSO made rack of lamb on tuesday (valentines) as well as he snuck in a fillet mignon on wednesday night. still, somehow, i must cook tonight. (where did all the food go??)

    ahh, the blessing/curse of technology on wedding planning! let me know if i can help with anything.

    btdubs I FINALLY AM GETTING INTO TRELLO for exactly the reason you mentioned - meal planning. if it amounts to anything (which it looks like it will) i might even blog about it :) thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete