9/01/2016

17. Keep pedalling

"Habits are a great servant but a bad master" -- Gretchen Rubin's take on Francis Bacon

I suggested on Day 15 that I might wrap up this project when my original commitment comes to a close, but since starting Gretchen Rubin's book about habits on Day 13, I've wondered if giving myself permission to drop this habit will be to my detriment.

It's always a question of balance, of how you achieve the maximum amount of fulfillment with the least amount of effort, as well as having enough but not too much. Have I gotten out of this project what I want? What should I hold on to and what do I need to let go of so I can move on to other things?

When I began my 30 days of blogging (i.e., 20 posts when I give myself weekends off; I know that's confusing, but I made up the rules, and hey, if that was an awkward mistake, I learned something by doing something), I didn't necessarily see it as trying out a habit. But I have come to see that it has very much functioned as a habit; making a decision that removes the decision-making process out of it. I don't have to ask, "Do I feel like writing today?" "Is what I wrote 'good enough' to be posted today?" Nope. That decision has already been made. I'm going to write, I'm going to post.

It's been incredibly freeing.



P.S. Another housekeeping note. I'm realizing that my replies to your comments don't necessarily go to you unless you subscribe to be notified of all comments, and that seems a bit excessive. I've thus been a bit lame about replying in recent days, even though I'd like to be the type of person who responds to all the comments. This might mean I need to figure out another way, or to overhaul the system, or to just text/email you personally if you comment. I just wanted to let you know that I'm aware of the issue and I am thinking about a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment