8/26/2016

13. Mindfully, then mindlessly


I started a new book with serendipitous resonances to what I've been thinking about: Gretchen Rubin's Better Than Before. I'm only a few chapters in but I love how she dives right into some very compelling points. She posits that a habit becomes something you have already decided, which takes the decision-making - and thus the dependence upon self-control - out of the equation. It's mindful, and then it's mindless. Or numbing.

I bought and started the above-pictured habit tracker in the beginning of July, and chose "get up before the kids" in preparation for my writing workshop, knowing that I'd need to build more time into my day. I am so far from being a morning person that I made this mini-goal of waking up only 25 minutes before I have to get Emilyn up. Of course, when I started this, both kids started waking up on their own way earlier than my goal. Little stinkers. Fortunately, it got better quickly.

I love showing up early for everything else in my life (early is on time, on time is late, late is unacceptable), and yet it's so hard for me to show up early for my life. Does anyone have tips for waking up early? I want more for myself but I still feel like death whenever the alarm clock rings.*

Of course the other goal/habit has been this project of blogging almost-daily. At first it was a leap; it was really hard the first few days, and then it got way better. I didn't even notice that the agony/anguish has been reduced significantly until I was telling a friend about it yesterday. (Yup, looking back, I was experiencing peak anguish on days three and five.) Once I decided, the decision-making was no longer taking up energy.

What habits have you successfully added to your life / would you like to start?

_____________
* Since drafting this post earlier this afternoon, I read far enough into Rubin's book to see that she recommends working within the "type" of person you are when developing habits; the first designation listed is owl/lark. Ha! (As I finish revising to post at 10:25 p.m...) And, yes, I do realize that waking up even at 7:20 is not considered very early to many people.

P.S. Also, just did reverse meal planning. Mind blown. Perfect for us rebels!

3 comments:

  1. I am definitely a born night person who over the years figured out I get much more than when I wake up very early , specifically, earlier than my kids ...especially writing ! And it's hilarious, last year right around the time that I had resolved to wake up earlier than Logan was when she would wake up every two hours etc. Some weeks it happens and it glorious and other days I'm lucky if I make it into work on time. But I'm gonna keep trying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have just changed my life posting about "reverse meal planning"! How have I never heard of this?! Also, I love your point about how forming a habit first takes a lot of energy, but how slowly and surely, it takes less and less. I guess that's the point of a habit, but man that initial energy investment often feels like an insurmountable mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally a morning person, but you know that (do you miss those early bible studies during our 4th year at Cal?). Having something to look forward to or planned in the morning always makes it easier for me to get up though. My bed is really comfy, but I'll get up and get moving when I know there is yummy iced coffee waiting for me and I want to do a little bit of reading before the kiddo is up or if I've got a plan for the day and want to start tackling a to do list.

    ReplyDelete