8/31/2016

16. Creative and secure

It's time for something light and fluffy again.

The other day I was trying to figure out a way to attach my phone to my person during walks because I notice that when I carry it in my hand, the ever-so-slight force from walking eventually wears on my elbow joint.

I didn't want to buy anything so I found this cool hack. I tried it around the house for a little but I still wanted something that was a little more balanced (I felt weird having a weight on one arm and was also nervous about it falling into places I didn't want it to fall into, you can guess what I mean). My mind went to the idea of a shoulder holster like they have in police dramas, so I googled it and found this. Super awkward. Also, I had seen the belt idea but I wondered why everyone just thought it cool and yet no one is ready to equate fanny pack with "cool." (In the words of my friend Kayla, "seems weird to me.")

Anyway so if someone wants to come up with a creative, secure, non-dorky, and symmetric way of carrying a phone around, I'm all ears!

P.S. This photo is for the previous post's postscript re: time spent earning money for our kids is time away from our kids.*

"Free" entertainment that I don't have to clean up after!
Ironically, we had to pay $800 for this dirt pile. The maple tree above has been sending its roots into our main line for years, probably from even before we bought the house. Not only did we have to pay that steep bill for the plumber to clean up the line, but in order to get that discounted price (!), David had to provide the labor of digging out to the baffle to our septic. (I was "baffled" when the plumber tried to explain all this to me.)

Not looking forward to having to say goodbye to that maple soon.

_____________________
*The classic book Your Money or Your Life is an interesting philosophical read that enlightened me to the concept of "making a dying" and the idea that we often see work in opposition to a future sense of retirement/"vacation", to the severe detriment of our every day life. I notice there are vestiges of this in my life; things I hold onto because I think of my life as dying rather than really living. Letting go of these things (literally and figuratively) has been part of this spiritual awakening. Hmm, I'm 16 posts in and haven't yet talked about scarcity vs. abundance mentalities.

2 comments:

  1. I wish fanny packs were cool. I want to wear one. I think I'll start. Maybe if we do it together we can start a trend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please get the hip holster that wraps around your leg. That would be hilarious and amazing. I just use my exercise armband that I got off Amazon for under $10. It seems to do the job, but it only remains on one arm. If you attached the phone to a headband though... ;)

    ReplyDelete