8/15/2016

06. Lighter and fluffier



I think after a few dark and abstract posts, it's time for something lighter, something you can literally sink your teeth into. Remember those chocolate muffins? I think I should finally tell you about them.

It all started with these blueberry muffins from King Arthur Flour.


The recipe is flat-out killer. It's something that actually tastes better because it's whole wheat, in the way that a bran muffin isn't just a healthy choice, but a delicious one. (Ahh, this is making me dream of extra foamy pint-glass lattes on the wrap-around deck at Cafe Strada, minus the textbooks.) The weight measurements provided in the recipe make it so that both prep and clean-up are very quick.

Since discovering them this spring, I've made these at least 4095843257834954 times, and on more than one occasion someone has told me, "I would pay you to make me a dozen."

The reason I've waited so long to post about them is because part of what takes these muffins to the next level is the use of liquid whey, which I understand not everyone has as easy access to as I do. My across-the-street neighbor and good friend, Valinda, regularly makes her own yogurt and is thus my Supplier of Whey. (She is that cool, and she is also so many other things on top of being a Supplier of Whey.)

Whey makes the lightest and fluffiest muffins you have ever had. Plus, whey is perfect fodder for all the chortle-inducing puns. I'll get out of your whey, or I'll be on my whey now!, I say to Valinda when I leave her house. Whey to go!, is what I should label the jar I bring to her home to be replenished.

I've since riffed off this recipe to make banana, carrot, and chocolate muffins. (The best is still blueberry, and chocolate is a very close second.) Yesterday when I set out to get rid of some CSA squash by making a spice muffin, I discovered that I had run out of whey and needed to find another way. So I used milk and it turned out decent. If whey makes an A+++ muffin, milk makes an A+. I think that's good enough to share with you guys. In fact, it's time to tell you guys.

In fact, it's 9:04.
Here's the link again. I would recommend trying the original first (that is, the blueberry), and then experimenting from there. I do cut the brown sugar to anywhere between 2/3-3/4 cup without a noticeable difference in the final taste. (It helps that I don't consider the cinnamon-sugar "optional" as the original recipe does.) For the chocolate version, I substitute the blueberry with 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of cocoa powder. Then I top them with coarse sugar and flaky salt, like Maldon.

Finally, something that is inspiring to me.* (I am trying to have way more fun with creativity, to tune into what makes me happy, excited, and light.)

__________________
*I literally am dropping that link here so I can get rid of one of 3294032859748392523 open tabs I have right now. #literally3294032859748392523

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes! Let me know how they turn out :)

      Delete
    2. I made these TWICE last week! With great success

      Delete
  2. You know the whey to my heart! I loved this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whey to go with all these puns! I need to try these when I have a kitchen again...

    ReplyDelete