8/16/2016

07. (In)sanity

Is the intersection creativity?
Applying the Konmari method to our house has revealed many things to me about myself, but one of the things is the way in which I have settled for cheaper options to save money in the short term, using the principle of "the time value of money" as my justification. I had an "ah-ha" moment a couple of years ago when we had to buy a new dishwasher and I almost picked a $450 one vs. a $499 one, even though I hated the placement of the utensil rack in the cheaper machine. Kenny was there with us, and he asked me, "Lisa, do you want to compromise every. single. day?" Well, when you put it that way...

How do you quantify the worth of your sanity?

I came up with this thought a couple weeks ago and wrote it on the chalkboard above my desk.


But lately I've been thinking that I need to change that to "don't overvalue money or time; don't undervalue SANITY."

What do you think? Is anything I'm saying making sense to you guys? Or have I already lost my sanity??!?!

3 comments:

  1. Always YES to sanity. Especially the kind of sanity that allows for maximizing reflection and appreciation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a related note, our dishwasher has been broken for months and I haven't purchased a new one because I don't have time to go shopping and pick one out. But what's really true is I don't have time to not buy one because I'm stuck hand washing everything! Your post just made me realize how silly it is to say I don't have time to buy a dishwasher. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brendan says to me what Kenny said to you almost weekly. It has been most apparent in the picking of kitchen/bathroom/living room items recently. Same as the idea that you should just buy good pairs of shoes because you will wear them weekly and the money you spent will turn out to be less than 10 cents per day in the wearing.

    ReplyDelete